All construction in New Jersey is regulated under the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code. This code is designed to ensure uniform standards of all phases of construction in each municipality in the State. It is to the benefit of everyone as consumers and /or property owners to apply for the various construction permits required, because
- the materials of construction meet codes,
- contractors and suppliers can be checked, and
- standards of construction, installations and workmanship are assured by the municipal inspectors.
All construction permits are obtained from:
Prospect Park Municipal Building
106 Brown Ave
Prospect Park, NJ 07508
If building permits are not obtained for improvements, penalties are imposed.
No permits are issued after 4:00 pm
Building Department Office Hours:
|9:30AM - 1:00PM||8:30AM - 1:00PM||8:30AM - 1:00PM||9:30AM - 1:00PM||8:30AM -
|2:30PM - 4:00PM||2:30PM - 4:30PM||3:30PM - 4:30PM||2:30PM - 4:30PM||3:30PM -
Certificate of Occupancy Inspections:
|1:30PM - 2:30PM||2:00PM - 2:30PM||No Inspections||2:00PM - 2:30PM||1:30PM -
Construction, Electrical/Fire Subcode Inspections:
|No Inspections||4:30PM - 6:00PM||No Inspections||4:30PM - 6:00PM||No Inspections|
Plumbing Subcode Inspections:
|No Inspections||No Inspections||12:00PM - 1:00PM||No Inspections||No Inspections|
ALL INSPECTIONS ARE BY APPOINTMENT
Construction, Electrical/Fire Subcode Official: James Booth
Inspections: Tuesday 4:30P.M. - 6:00P.M.
Plumbing Subcode Official: Ron Barbarullo
Inspections: Tuesday 12:00P.M. - 1:00P.M.
Code Enforcement Officer: Heidy Amaral
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30AM - 4:30PM
Office Phone: (973) 790-7902 Ext. 524
Zoning Officer: James Booth
Inspections: Tuesday 4:30P.M. - 6:00P.M.
The zoning office handles the following responsibilities:
- Regulations on yard requirements for construction i.e. decks, additions, pools.
- Fence Heights and installation i.e. how high a fence can be on a property
- Accessory structures i.e. sheds, patios, & garages.
- Outdoor Parking regulations i.e. parking and storing of boats & trailers etc.
- All signage i.e. commercial & residential.
When you need a building permit:
Building permits ARE REQUIRED (from the building department) before making the following changes to your house:
- Replacing a roof
- Installing new siding
- Adding a bedroom or bathroom
- Adding an addition
- Interior alterations
- Constructing a deck
- Enclosing a porch
- Installing a dishwasher
- Replacing an electric stove with a gas stove
- Finishing a basement
- New kitchen
- Central air conditioning
- New wiring
- New furnace, boiler, or hot water heater
- All swimming pools
When you don't need a building permit:
You don't need a permit for ordinary repairs on a one or two-family dwelling. These changes include:
- Repairing roofing or siding material with like material, if the area doesn't exceed 25 percent of the roof within a year
- Repairing and replacing duct work
- Installing floor material, including carpeting
- Painting the exterior or interior
- Replacing any window or door, if no change in the dimensions or framing of the opening is involved
- Covering walls, plastering or placing a drywall on an existing wall
- Replacing glass in any window or door, if the replacement glass conforms to minimum requirements. ( direct replacement )
- Replacing any faucet or valve, if the piping system doesn't have to be rearranged
- Interior and exterior painting
- Window boxes and trellises
- Window shutter installation & repairs
- Carpet Window glazing and puttying
- Kitchen floors, tile or linoleum
- Changing locks-single cylinder, dead bolts only
- Landscape work
- New gutters and leaders (excluding built-up gutters)
- Install storm windows and doors
Maintenance and Repair Items Requiring a Permit:
Some items of repair and maintenance do require permits.
Building Permit Required
- Chimney repairs
- Fence replacement
- Roof repairs over 25%
- New roof
- Porch and stair repairs
- New fence
- Build new retaining wall
- Install hard surface driveways
- Install exterior entry into basement
- Install driveway post light (with possible Electrical Permit)
Construction Permit Required
- Create additional off-street parking
As per Borough Ordinance on Zoning
- Repair existing patios
Demolition Permit Required
- Demolish sheds and/or buildings ?
Electrical Permit Required
- Install additional wall outlets (electrical permit)
- Increase power service to home (electrical permit)
Plumbing Permit Required
- Water softeners
- Water heaters
- Boilers (Gas piping, Backflow preventer)
- Sink, Shower, Tub, and Toilet
Improvements That Will Increase Your Tax Assessment
|Remodeling of Kitchen||Building|
|Remodeling of Bath||Plumbing, Building, Electrical|
|New Exterior Siding & Veneers||Building|
|Add Sun Deck, Portico, Porch||Building|
|Permanent Type Swimming Pools||Building|
|Plumbing Alterations, Modernization, Tiling||Plumbing, Building|
|Install Masonry Patios||Building|
|Finish Basement for Recreation Rooms||Building|
|Laundry Rooms, Game Rooms, etc.||Building|
|Finish Attic for Additional Rooms of Any Kind||Building|
|Additions to House for Rooms of Any Kind||Zoning Approval, Building|
Other improvements and alterations not listed may need a permit; therefore please call the construction official at (973) 970-7902 Ext. 524 prior to commencing work.
The Following are requirements under the UNIFORM CONSTRUCTION CODE N.J.A.C.5:23-2.18
- FOOTINGS: The bottom of footing trenches before placement of footings.
- FOUNDATION: All walls up to grade level; plastered, water proofed, footing drains in place, prior to back fill.
- STRUCTURAL FRAMING: All structural framing and connections, prior to covering with finish or infill material; after rough Electrical and Plumbing inspections and approvals.
- INSULATION: After rough Electric, Plumbing and Framing inspections and approvals.
- FINISHES and FINALS: Installation of all finished materials, plumbing piping, trim and fixtures, electrical wiring, devices and fixtures, mechanical systems.
CERTIFICATE of OCCUPANCY: N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.23 Issued after all final inspections and approvals from Building, Electric, Plumbing, and Fire Sub code Officials.
NOTICE of INSPECTIONS : N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.18 (c) The owner or other responsible person in charge of work shall notify the enforcing agency when the work is ready for any required inspections specified herein or required by the Construction Official or appropriate Sub code Official. This notice shall be given at least 24 hours prior to the time the inspection is desired. Inspections shall be performed within 3 business days of the time for which it was requested.
POSTING of PERMIT : N.J.A.C. 5:23 - 2.16 (h) A true copy of the Construction Permit shall be kept on the site of operations until work is complete and Certificate has been issued.
- PERMIT PLACARD MUST BE VISIBLE AT ALL TIMES FROM THE STREET. FAILURE TO COMPLY MAY RESULT IN A $250.00 FINE.
- A set of Building Department approved plans must be available on the site at all times.
- A Certificate of Occupancy is required before any new structure is occupied.
- Any permit issued shall become invalid if authorized work is not commenced within 12 months of issuance of this permit, or if the authorized work is suspended or abandoned for 6 months after the time of commencing the work.