Democratic government and peaceful home life have combined to set individually apart the Borough of Prospect Park both as an incorporated municipality and as a residential community. Modern civic improvements, fine educational facilities, exceptionally good roads and a thrifty, home-loving, righteous populace have made it justly proud of its individuality.
The natural devotion of the early Dutch settlers to community, church and home life took firm root that carries on through today.
In recent years many people of national origin have made Prospect Park their home and are, by their faithful observance of its customs and ordinances long established, helping to keep Prospect Park a peaceful community.
Points of Interest
Twenty-two acres of woodland situated at the top of Struyk Avenue extension were given to the Borough by Mr. and Mrs. Peter Hofstra to be used for park and recreation and picnicking grounds. Mayor Peter Hook immediately accepted this gracious gift and the Council then named this area “Hofstra Park”. Hofstra Park was later re-constructed with different facilities such as; Baseball Fields, Tennis Courts, Basketball Courts and recently added a Spray Park.
James Sowerbutt opened Prospect Park “Quarry” in 1901. Ownership passed to his son-in-law and then the Vandermade Family operated the Quarry for the next 53 years. In 1969, Warren Brothers Inc. (a division of Ashland Oil and Refining Company) acquired the quarry. They operated it until the early 1980’s. Tilcon then became the purchaser of Prospect Park Quarry and has operated the facility for 20 years. Today Tilcon employs an experienced mineral collector who identifies and preserves minerals and crystals uncovered by Quarry operations. Mineral specimens from the Prospect Park Quarry can be seen on display at The Smithsonian, The American Museum of Natural History and the nearby Paterson Museum.